Greek Honey Walnut Cake
Write a review
- 1/3 cup Sue Bee® Honey
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large lemons
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 (8 ounce) container plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 13x9 metal baking pan.
- In a food processor, with knife blade attached, combine walnuts with 1/4 cup sugar and process until walnuts are finely ground.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves in separate bowl.
- In a large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter with remaining 3/4 cup sugar until creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in lemon peel.
- With a mixer at low speed, alternately add flour mixture and yogurt, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat just until better is smooth, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
- Fold in walnut mixture.
- Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, prepare syrup: From lemons, grate 1 tablespoon lemon peel and squeeze 3 tablespoons juice.
- In a 1-qt saucepan, combine Sue Bee Honey, sugar, lemon peel and 3/4 cup water; heat to boiling over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook 2 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in lemon juice; cook slightly.
- When cake is done, transfer pan with cake to a wire rack.
- With a toothpick, poke holes all over top of cake.
- Spoon warm syrup over cake.
- Cool cake completely in pan before serving.
- When cool, cut cake lengthwise in half, each half crosswise into four pieces, and each piece diagonally in half to form two triangles.
Sue Bee Honey http://suebee.com/