Barbara Estabrook’s My Honey of a Breakfast Scone entry in the Sue Bee Honey Sweet Eats Recipe Contest!
My Honey of a Breakfast Scone
Write a review
- 1/4 cup Sue Bee® Honey
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice, plus
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (divided use)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, stick style-cut into thin pieces
- 1/3 cup golden raisins, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped roasted whole almonds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Sue Bee Honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Line 1 large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small dish, stir dates and orange juice together. Set aside until needed, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium bowl whisk all-purpose flour, almond flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together. Add butter and, using a pastry blender, cut butter into dry ingredients until coarse crumbs form.
- Whisk in orange zest until evenly distributed. In a small bowl, whisk egg.
- Add cream, Sue Bee Honey and extract; whisk together then pour into bowl of dry ingredients.
- Add date mixture and, using a fork, stir all ingredients together until no flour is visible (batter will be thick).
- Stir in almonds.
- Drop mounds of dough (a scant 1/4-cup dough per mound) 2 1/2-inches apart on lined sheet. Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until golden or when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, rotating sheet from front to back halfway through baking.
- Transfer scones to wire racks and cool 20 minutes.
- In a small heavy saucepan, cook butter until golden over medium heat (do not allow butter to burn.
- Pour golden butter into a small bowl to cool then stir in Sue Bee Honey, confectioners’ sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons water and extract.
- Sir until drizzle consistency, adding more water if necessary.
- Top center of each scone with a generous teaspoon icing then using fork tines, rake across top of scones.
Sue Bee Honey http://suebee.com/