David Rash’s Honey Ice Cream entry in the Sue Bee Honey Sweet Eats Recipe Contest!
Honey Ice Cream
Write a review
- 1/2 cup Sue Bee® Clover Honey
- 3 egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Pinch of salt
- Pour milk in a large pot and place on medium heat.
- While milk is heating, beat together Sue Bee Honey, egg yolks, cornstarch and salt until puffy and a pale yellow color, about 1-2 minutes.
- Once the milk is scalding, remove from heat and, while whisking the egg-honey mixture briskly, slowly pour in the hot milk, making sure to scrape bottom and edges of the bowl. Whisk until it’s just combined.
- Pour the pudding back into the large pot and return to medium heat.
- Stir constantly with a rubber spatula, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan.
- After about 10 minutes, the custard should start to thicken considerably. Whisk the custard quickly for 1-2 minutes, until it's very thick.
- Turn off heat, quickly whisk in the butter and vanilla. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve directly into a heatproof dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the custard and allow it to cool completely at room temperature before refrigerating to set and cool more (at least 2-3 hours).
- After it has set in the refrigerator, churn in an ice cream maker per the manufacturer’s instructions until soft-set and almost frozen.
- Transfer to a storage container and freeze until completely frozen.
- Serve on its own or with chocolate or vanilla ice cream or with fruit sorbets in a sundae.
Sue Bee Honey http://suebee.com/