Jannine Fisk’s Salted Caramel Honey Brickle Brownies entry in the Sue Bee Honey Sweet Eats Recipe Contest!
Salted Caramel Honey Brickle Brownies
Write a review
- 1/2 cup Aunt Sue’s® Raw-Wild Natural Honey
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Honey Caramel Ingredients
- 1/4 cup Aunt Sue’s Raw-Wild Natural Honey
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup Aunt Sue’s Raw-Wild Natural Honey
- 1 cup butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons coarse grind sea salt
Prepare the Honey Brickle
- Line a large rimmed cookie sheet with a silicone mat liner or greased aluminum foil.
- In a deep, heavy nonstick saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup Aunt Sue’s Raw Honey and 1/2 cup of the whipping cream and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Continue cooking until mixture registers 230 F on a candy thermometer. Stir in an additional 1/2 cup of whipping cream and cook until mixture reaches 230 F on the candy thermometer.
- Stir in the last 1/2 cup of whipping cream and cook until mixture reaches 250 F on the candy thermometer. Remove from heat immediately and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Carefully pour mixture into prepared pan, creating a thin layer. Let set for 30 minutes or until firm, refrigerating if necessary.
- Break into large pieces by hand and place in a zip-close bag. Using a rolling pin or mallet, break brickle into small bits.
Next, Make the Honey Caramel
- In a medium heavy saucepan, combine 1/4 cup Aunt Sue’s Raw Honey, 1/2 cup whipping cream, 1/2 cup butter and 3/4 cup brown sugar.
- Cook over medium-high heat, whisking very often until mixture comes to a rolling boil. Boil for 3 minutes, while gently stirring with a heatproof spatula or wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat and pour into a glass bowl to cool until ready to use.
Make and Assemble the Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spray the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place 1 cup butter and the chocolate in a medium microwave-safe bowl and cook on high for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through until chocolate and butter are melted.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl and add the 1 3/4 cups sugar, 2/3 cup Aunt Sue’s Raw Honey and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix well after each addition.
- Add baking powder, salt and flour and mix until all ingredients are moistened and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and top with 1 cup of the prepared honey brickle bits.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until brownies just begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool completely in the pan on a rack. Once brownies are cooled, cut into 12 equal squares.
- Place approximately 3/4 cup of the prepared honey caramel into a pastry bag or zip-close bag and cut a hole in the corner. Squeeze the caramel across the surface of each brownie in a zig-zag pattern. Top each brownie with an additional sprinkling of honey brickle and a light sprinkling of sea salt.
Sue Bee Honey http://suebee.com/